Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 4 (Part 2)


As the journey continues I reach the Yacht Station at Great Yarmouth – but no time to stop it is straight through.  A quick check of the bridges shows about 9ft 2" clearance – plenty enough – and Belmore is quickly though them both with the current behind me I know once I turn right at the yellow post, things will suddenly slow down.

As I have been on approach to Breydon a motorboat is waiting on Breydon Water for Breydon Bridge to lift and has been in communication with the bridge on VHF.  As luck would have it, just after turning at the yellow post the bridge signals for the boats to proceed and it lifts – all captured on film which was a first for me.

I saw the boat pass to my left, with ‘trade plates’ on it clearly off out to sea to be delivered somewhere and I felt jealous of the journey they would be having, but for now I was now heading on my own to Oulton Broad. Belmore has a larger engine and prop (or perhaps a high pitched prop) than Belmore TC and together she has a real turn of speed and power – alas little of this can be used for any length of time for anything at or above 2,000rpm and she begins to overheat quickly passing into 90c and above so realistically the most revs you can put on is about 1,800. However for a few minutes you can ‘put your foot down’ and her bow will lift slightly the steering becomes feather light and everything comes to life, along with a nice growl from her engine.

I was surprised to see Amethyst an ex Connoisseur Cruiser now in private hands, flying along. Despite being on hydraulic drive, these things sure can shift now in private hands and the engine unrestricted.  She made a great bow wave, but equally a colossal stern wave (drag) was not helping her economy. I thought it would be good to ease right back and ‘play with the wash’ which I did, only to turn around and see a small spec with a lot of white froth around it approaching fast from behind.  Bullocks to the ex hire craft, let’s turn about and go through some proper wash.

I did and it was great, real smile making stuff and the Princess 30 hull on which Belmore is moulded took it perfectly, very little spray her chines on the hull deflecting almost everything out and down – but it got better, for moments later the high speed craft, turn and came back for another run – two opportunities to go thru some nice wake. I was a happy man.

In part three the journey continues – deciding to avoid the Yare and take a risk to continue to St. Olaves and head under the bridge there – would we have enough room or would I need to double back after all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)