Brinks Omega - Day Six


 

Having spent the last night at Richardson's boatyard in Stalham, I was keen to be away earlier so not to cause any hindrance to their quayside works going on.  In so doing too I could use the time cruising to hear the water up to have a shower with.   I arrived at Paddy's Lane moorings and they were deserted - lovely.

I got ready, then cooked myself breakfast - I was going to leave up to Barton Turf to use the water hose but decided I could wait for topping up so instead decided to head down the River Ant - not before taking a nice slow round about cruise on Barton Broad.

So many simply traverse the Broad in a rush to go somewhere, but to simply drift in the wind letting it take the bow where it wishes can be a very relaxing experience - especially when you happen to be the only boat on the broad at the time - and this was so until the radio came into life and it was Broad Ambition, making its way up the Ant back to Stalham where Griff would be soon off back to 'God's Country'.

Today, I thought would be my 'lazy day' which means the tale, and accompanying Blog on You Tube is not perhaps the most interesting. After leaving Barton Broad behind, by destination would be Womack Island - a place I have often seen and passed by but never overnighted at.  It was a bit brezzy today, but still bright and the sun was certainly adding to the warmth - the river Ant looked splendid as ever and when Ludham Bridge came into I knew it would not be long before I was at the mouth of the Ant and turning left onto the Bure.  

By the time I arrived at the Bure, the wind had got the water rather confused but I soon figured that the wind was blowing one way and the tide going another which I rather like, since it makes the boat feel like a boat for a change - you can feel the roll, hear the sound of the water on the hull and have to take more care keeping the boat on course for the wind is always wanting to take the bow and head just where you don't want to.

The moorings at St. Benet's were all free, and other than a private Bounty 28, I did not see another boat - by the time I reached the mouth of the river Thurne I would have the wind behind me, and things were suddenly a lot smoother on the water as I turned on to the Thurne.  When I took the left hand turn into the dyke that leads to Womack Water (sign posted Ludham) I was half tempted to stop at the 'wild mooring' I often moor at since it is always very quiet and I had not so far moored anywhere on this trip that had required Rhonde Anchors.  However, I soon decided not to and carry on to Womack Water itself.

I found the area very different to how things look in the season when the public moorings are taken, often with Herbert Woods boats on their last nights and people keen to walk to the Kings Arms in Ludham.  Now thought it was very much empty, I noticed too the water hose was not out either.  I turned the boat and then headed off to the Island, which has some pretty shallow edged lined with tree roots and some tight bends - so take it easy and be prepared to put some large steering inputs in to get around - before long the moorings came into view - a part form a pair of Ducks, they would be all mind.

Annoyingly one of the posts is missing so there is a large gap between the pattern of the mooring posts, but the fact Omega had a centre cleat meant I could moor where I had and not disturbed the Ducks on the the part of the mooring. One the engine was off it was just the sound of the wind through the trees, and the noise of Ducks - no other boats, no other sounds to speak of - bliss.

So that was it, as far as my usual cruising day goes a very sedate day, but it is nice to set off early - find somewhere nice and just moor up and not need to move until the next day.  I spent the time cleaning the boat, doing the boat review and then reading.  Cheshire Cat came around the island, but other than that I did not see another boat in the time I was moored there - though I know in the summer season often people see this on the way to Womack Water through he trees and so will moor meaning it is a bit like Irstead, lovely to moor - if you can get in!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)