Brinks Omega - Day Five





I had looked, then looked again to ensure the number 12 bus did in fact stop near Ludham Bridge and would be there for 10:26am this morning.  All was set until we opened the curtains and found we could not see Turf Fen wind pump.  It was foggy!

We waited anxiously and ever so slowly the fog began to disperse – I could now see the width of the river and about the same ahead.  Decision time – leave now in unsavory conditions and catch the bus and her train – or leave it and she have to pay full whack for a single ticket to London.  I went for the first option.

We left the mooring and on tick over proceed down river keeping close to the Starboard bank a couple of bends later and the fog was lifting even more phew I thought and brought the revs up a little – however this was short lived as when we got on to the straight (passed the water outlet with the 4 MPH signs attached to the structure) the fog swept in once more – this time it was hard to see the port bank.

Back down to tick over and now I thought about, and then decided to go ahead and sound the horn once for a long blast at 1 minute intervals.  The international standard I think is every 2 minutes, but in 2 minutes we could have met someone coming up river and they be well out of ear short of our feeble horn.

Between sounding the horn I was then listening out the window – my idea being that if someone was to hear this, they may twig what it meant considering the conditions and use their horn back.  Logic and common sense however don't always come together.

We were not too far from Ludham Bridge and still taking it very slowly and keeping to the starboard bank when out of nowhere a private boat appeared – by its bow wave I'd say in excess of the 4 MPH speed limit and well over towards the centre of the river. Sure, it had its navigation lights on but so much for taking things carefully, keeping to their starboard side and keeping a listen out for what may be about when you can’t see much around you.

Thankfully we arrived at Ludham Bridge moorings not too much after this, and it did not take too much longer for the fog to move to a mist – and then begin to disperse altogether.  We saw a number 12 bus go over the bridge – away from the direction of Wroxham, so we knew they were running ok and to time. We topped up with water had a coffee and a walk along the moorings – then back on the boat with 20 minutes before the bus was due – only to see a bus go over the bridge towards Wroxham.

Panic ensued – get the laptop out, turn on – only it decided this moment to refuse to get past 12% of configuring its latest updates, there was now 10 minutes before the bus should be leaving – so I said come on I am sure it will be ok Shiela – to which she said, yes but this is Norfolk they seem to take things easier up here.  

As it happened there is a lay-by but I noticed the telephone box has gone – referred to on the timetable I had – but we waited and at bang on 10:26am her bus arrived. It was only when I had got back on the boat I realised how quiet it was and took some readjusting to things without her - but it was none the less time to think of the day ahead and depart the mooring.

I then took a very sedate cruise down the Ant, then on to the Bure in the direction of Horning.  I then Google Boulters and called them - £1.18 a litre for fuel compared to £1.40 at Barnes Brinkcraft.  I would have some of that so told them I would be arriving in a hire boat and carried on my way.  Now I know where you go to Boulters (its the first dyke on the right just before Ferry Marina) but what I was not expecting was to arrive at quite a tightly packed location full of peoples private boats - time not to cock anything up I thought so eased Omega down the dyke and came into moor in a gap about 35ft long - a chap saw me, and came round and took over the controls brining me into the small cut, whereupon other chaps were moving boats out of the way for us to get to the quay where the fuel pump was.  

It is interesting seeing different marine engineering businesses and how they work, Boulters had small aft cockpit boats moored next to a huge Princess that was probably about 42ft long and looked about as tall - proper sea going job but looked the business! They did not know me form Adam but were chatty, helpful and very decent to deal with.  

I had paid an £80.00 deposit for fuel, and with a larger engine and a lot of long cruising under my belt together with copious warm air heater use when Shiela was onboard I feared the fuel bill would eat a long way into the deposit.  Still, the litres clicked past on the pump and rather suddenly and surprisingly stopped - he looked at me, I looked at him and it was decaled 'she is full'.

Well, £40.12 was the damage in five days from Wroxam to Horning to Salhouse, Salhouse to Ranworth, to Sutton, Sutton to Wroxham then to Acle, Acle to Potter Heigham, to How Hill and How Hill to Horning. I was happy at the service, and the savings.  

I left Boulters and went down to Horning Staithe, only to find it full, so an about turn and back down the Bure - this time I took the right off towards Ranworth not with the intention of stopping there but to do a little demonstration to camera on the GPS speed App I use on my phone.  It was then back to the Bure and I had not long turned to head towards St Benets when Griff came over loud and clear on the radio.

I learnt just how gullible I am for he told me he was heading back up the Bure from Breydon Water - eh? I thought he was not going that far south and anyway these PMR radios he has have a damn fine range on them - which I then replied with still bemused at just how clear the reception was, it was only then I see Broad Ambition coming straight towards me round the next bend just before the mouth of the Ant!

I followed him up the river - and he stopped at Ludham Bridge Boatyard to do some bits onboard - I then carried on through the bridge, turned and moored and met fellow forum member 'Cambridge Cabbie' who had so happened seen Broad Ambition when it went under Potter Heigham bridge the previous day.  I then popped over the way to say hi to Jason, and you know how it goes I then found myself helping cut plywood with Griff, well using my sheer weight and a nearby rock as an outside workbench and vice. I then heard that The Corsican was about on t e water and moored at How Hill, so I duly called and before long was saying my goodbyes and heading back over the road and onboard the boat.

I happened to follow Lord Paul up the river Ant then turned and came into moor just opposite Turf Fen wind pump - now glorious in the afternoon sun, but this morning of course shrouded in fog. After some time spent on The Corsican having a catch up chat I was once moor heading up the Ant - in a bit of a mixed mind.  Did I want to eat on the boat tonight or did I want to go out for food - or even have a takeaway?  Food then took over where I would overnight, only interrupted by stopping briefly on Barton Broad to admire the scene as the sun slowly began to fall towards the horizon.

I decided to head to Richardson's boatyard then I could walk into Stalham and get something - only issue would be space in their yard to moor.  When arrived I looked down each quay and it was full of boats, I was about to give up when I came down one last try to the moorings outside their reception/booking office - also where they are having extensive work done on proper marina style decking.  Oh joy of joys one space between a Broadsman and Crown Gem - by now I had got the hang of stern on mooring with Omega - just aim way away from where you intend to moor and by the time you reach there the boat will be lined up and ready to slot in - I have never had a boat whose bow would just drift off at the slightest crosswind, but I was winning the battle and so came in perfectly - always the case when there is nobody to witness such events.

And so ended another lovely day - after a clean down of the boat and fitting of the outside vinyl screen covers (hellish things whatever was wrong with press stud interior curtains!) it was time to head off into Stalham, the sun setting a lovely walk and found the chippy with a queue out the door - always a good sign and so it was the Cod and Chips were lovely and I recommend you visit next time you're in Stalham.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi what is the gps speed app you use as we are going on our first boat hol's in May thanks steve
I'm surprised you asked this since at about 10 minutes in to the video is a full review of the Speed Apps.

http://youtu.be/OVZHemaHrZ8?t=10m have a look there - I think if memory serves it is called asmarthud

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)