Mystic Horizon - Day Three



    So are you ready for a feature length Captain's Blog?  Fancy going to Norwich by river...Me to, alas I had noticed in the night that my throat had got rather sore and my nose was rather stuffed up - not a good combination and only mean one thing that a Cold I had tried to avoid getting prior to coming away I had indeed got after all.

    It was an early start up at 6:00am and waiting not for sun to rise but now for the fog to clear enough to make safe passage to Yarmouth.  By 6:30am it was a lot better and by 6:45am had cleared enough to depart Stracey Arms and head south for Yarmouth.  I was surprised how many of the boats moored the previous night had left already and clearly when the fog was at its thickest.  It worked out well for me though as there was still a good ebbing current under me and a glorious light show with the sun rising in the sky and the mist working together to form a very warm comforting light spectacle.

    It was not too long down the Bure when I caught up with the some of the boats who had left earlier, it all slowed down to just over tick over and sometimes having to come to a stop as boats ahead did so in the thicker mist that was seeming to come and go - not long before Marina Keys boats began passing heading north appearing out of the mist suddenly which kept my eyes peeled and wits about me.  As if by magic though as the line of boats approached Yarmouth Yacht Station the mist vanished, it was bright and sunny with blue sky and a slight warmth in the air.  My worries about the Broads Authority closing Breydon Water to hire craft due to the fog were not to come to anything. 


    I check the approaching bridge height gauge and had plenty of room to fit under  - but I had not counted on the fact I had put the Blog Camera on the roof on a suction mount tripod which itself was getting on for a foot tall.  Quite how the camera made it through Vauxhall Bridge I have no idea as you will no doubt see in the accompanying video blog to this tale. 


    And so it was that a group of boats all heading south rounded the yellow post and straight in a strong head wind causing the camera to shake and my trust in the power of the suction mount put to the test - no need to worry in the end it held well.



    Under the road bridge that spans the start of Breydon Water as you head south and the sun was behind us, the water looking almost blue and it felt like the start of a real adventure was underway.   I even had perked up and was feeling a lot better than when I had slipped the moorings a couple of hours earlier.
    The boats in front of me were taking things rather sedately but it is not every day you get to 'put your foot down' on the Broads so for a time I thought to hell with fuel economy and was surprised how steady the boat was, but equally surprised at how a small increase in speed resulted n a large increase in wash.  The boat seemed to create a large stern wave while the bow was not actually causing too much wash, still this was Breydon Water so not to worry.

    The crossing was going along just fine until just about three quarters of the way over I hit a fog bank the temperature soon dropped, and visible went down more and more until one could make out just one post ahead.  I feared that I may be in for a long slog and how long might this fog go on for - but shortly before Berney Arms it once again lifted, but it still was bleak looking an cooler - the sun now nowhere to be seen.

    The journey from Berney Arms to Reedham seemed to pass rather quickly and once under the swing bridge at Reedham it was not long before I was passing the car ferry and then looming in the distance the sugar factory at Cantley.  For those who think the southern rivers are boring, reed lined and featureless stick with things if you are on the Yare because once you pass Cantley things really improve - indeed the closer one gets to Brundall the moor beautiful the landscape gets with rolling hills, trees and the you realise just how different each river on the Broads is, and how along a rivers length so much can change.

    So through Brundall I continued looking at the map seeing how far it was to Bremerton Common - for this was the furthest I had been on the Yare previously.  Once I passed the moorings at Bramerton I felt eager to take in and look out for all that was around - this was unchartered ground for me.  It was beautiful!  Not too long and under Postwick Viaduct I went, then on the right hand bank Freedom Cruisers new base came into view - their boats  lined up many freshly painted and looking very good.  

    I began taking notes on speed, RPM, and distance between points as a guide because I had no other idea of how long cruising times would be on the return to moorings I had noticed.  This served useful later as I was able to confidently predict how long it would take from Norwich back to places and thus how long to stay in Norwich for.

    Trowse railway bridge was the next feature having passed Thorpe (the bridges to this pretty cut far too low for my boat to pass under) but it looked pretty and quiet none the less.  It was quite a shock how the moment one passes under Trowse bridge the scene before you changes.  I loved the fact there are still factories here, the industrial feel of things and the fact you can look up and take in so much - the area has so much history, and you can see it layered along with the future being built.
      
    I must say I don't much like these new 'blocks' of apartments that seem to be a must along any river in a city these days, and much prefer the older buildings - some of which may not be used and be derelict but remind us of the past and what used to go on with the loading and unloading of vassals along this stretch of river.

    It seemed each bridge you came to meant a change in architecture awaited the other side, the river changed as did the buildings - I absolutely recommend you must go to Norwich on a boat and experience the arrival into the city by boat.  

    All too soon I was at the Yacht Station - here you will find water, rubbish disposal, toilets and showers along with pump out facilities for boats.  £5.00 for the day, £12.00 over night with showers costing £1.00.  A very helpful Broads Authority ranger came on his bicycle, helped with the ropes and issued me with a receipt  - I had until 6pm if I wanted for the £5.00 I had paid.  I tidied the boat and then headed off a short distance past the railway station to Morrison's  Bloody hell this store was huge!  So much choice and tempting things out on display from cakes and pastries to hot pies and meats.   With a bit too much bought it was time to walk back to the Yacht Station and had lunch on the boat.

    One may question coming so far and spending so many hours at the wheel to then depart Norwich and head back towards Bramerton, but I wanted to come to Norwich to see what it was like to on a boat and get some provisions -  and when it is yourself you have to look after you can make these kind of decisions willy nilly.  So it was that I left the city and headed for the moorings at Bramerton Common for my overnight stop.
    These moorings are just perfect, you have the peace of the river and very little traffic on the small road that runs by the river, coupled with the large green with its lush grass (and 'Super Moles' who make some pretty large Mole hills).

    There are benches, and along the moorings closer to the Waters Edge 'Gastro Pub' you will find electric posts should you need the use of shore power.  I sat in the after well with a can of Beer watching the Swans and before too long I was feeling sleepy so time for a nap.

    I was woken by the sound of an engine revving and much talking - then a nudge to the boat, gosh I thought not again!  But in fact it was so slight and found a couple on Sweet Freedom trying to moor  - first time boaters and doing the same attempt over and over with the same result - the tide would take the bow out while the wife got off the boat only with the stern rope and much talking about how to get the front of the boat in, get back on the boat - attempt again - same result.

    Not sure what they thought when I bounded along the boat bare feet, jogging bottoms and a t-shirt on looking half asleep lol - but couple of words of advice, coming in against the outgoing current, bow in and was tied up in a jiffy.  It is nice when you can help out.  I think it is human nature not to want to appear somehow silly but if you have never done something before it takes practice to get it right - how long had it taken me to figure out the fast way to tie a clove hitch knot after all (and then I could pass this on to the new hirers too).

    It was so quiet here, still and watching the sun go down made a perfect end to a long day but I am realising how pretty some of the places like this are, and compared to the northern rivers how much quieter they are.  My advice is head south and explore you will love it


    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

    Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

    Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)