Mystic Horizon - Day Six




Today was the last full day of the trip and after several days of getting up early, it was nice for a change to take my time.  The evening had been cooler but the heating on Mystic Horizon was very good and kept things snug.  In fact because of the boats layout and height the living accommodation does not feel as small as boats of similar lengths, but at the same time the fact she is not a large boat means things like the heating do a better job and there are no drafts to annoy you.

I had a very painful right ring finger where I had thought the nail had begun to grow in.  It was only back in London on the Friday night things really got bad and I realised it was a serious infect that was spreading.  I called 111 (formally NHS Direct) and actually got a very helpful man who said I should go to A&E.  To cut a long story short being in a hospital on a Friday night is not the nicest place but suffice to say after having antibiotics administered via injection I was sent on my way with an oral course of the next 7 days.  The infection cleared up in a week and all is back to normal.

Back to the tale...So I decided to leave Womack Dyke and head along the Thurne to the Bure, turn right and head for the River Ant.  Having done this I eased back and let the boats ahead of me bunch up as I did not want to be caught out at Ludham Bridge.  Upon reaching the Bridge I held back and was stationary waiting for a Le Boat Emperor to come through the bridge.  This he did, only rather than then pass along my port side as you would expect he just came directly at me it took a few seconds to cotton on if I did not move he would not stop so I moved to the left and he pasted on my right.  Lined back up for the bridge and went through to be met by another boat - Sensation - almost straddled across the width of river going back then forward then back...Clearly trying to moor but I think as one may parallel park a car and finding out you can't do that in a boat.

What was worrying was as the chap on the bow got up to walk to the stern with the bow line, he almost tripped and had it been a slightly bigger stumble would have ended up in the water as the boat was trying to manoeuvre.  He did not have a life jacket on, and it goes to show how something bad could have happened in literally an instant.  I moored along the way and popped into the stores by the bridge for an Ice Cream and dropped some rubbish off - then pondered if I should use the water tap here - then had a great idea.  Go to Barton Turf there is a water point there and it is a beautiful location.

So I took a slow trip up the Ant, the sunshine was lovely, and it had become a very warm day - upon reaching Barton Broad I just turned off the engine and sat gently being turned 180 degrees by the wind.  It was one of those moments where you just feel yourself completely relax.  I'd also realised I have never mud weighted over night on a Broad - something I shall have to do if the wind is not too strong some other time.

Engine on and back onward to Barton Turf where a very nicely kept Freeman was moored opposite the water point, I moored up and then found the hose would not reach (it does seem a very short hose here) so moved the boat around on the ropes and this time being able to get the hose in. Once all that was done it was lovely and peaceful so went for a walk and took some photos.  Back on the boat time to leave the moorings and once one has enough flow over the rudder this type of boat does steer (well more arc) left or right in reverse and the steering being so smooth makes such a breeze.  Now the right way around, I passed the Broads Authority moorings did a right turn and headed back for Barton Broad.

Not much to report on my return trip down the River Ant, my destination now was Acle - I palled to overnight in the boatyard, get there in the late afternoon and pack all my things away early then head to the Bridge Inn for dinner and drinks.  As it happened I stopped at St. Benet's Abbey and had a look around again, this is such a tranquil place I feel very comfortable here and I am aware some do not, or have had spooky things happen 

- but for me I don't feel anything like that, but this time I went for a walk along where the river bank is and the line of fisherman all sat with a tremendous amount of gear.  Spaced evenly, alone doing their thing.  Fishermen - a bread of person who certainly has the patience of a saint.

Back to the boat and the final part of the cruise to Acle which passed rather quickly and upon arriving found Horizon Craft was full - so under the bridge and a single mooring as if waiting for me, so turn around come in to moor and before long I was in clean up mode packing away, tidying up and making the ship shape.
I had a lovely time and fitted a decent amount of places in - many I have not seen previously.  The boat was easy to handle, and lovely fitted inside and very keenly priced, I notice the 2014 price is rising by £24.00 but the fuel deposit is falling.  Talking of fuel, despite all the cruising and roughly 33 hours engine run time I used £96.00 of fuel so had 54.00 returned to me out of my deposit.

So thanks for coming along for the ride, I hope you enjoyed the watching the Captain's Blog and thanks to the Richardson's and their staff at Acle for another lovely boat and time away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)