San Selino Day Two


Having previously looked at the weather forecast I knew that Tuesday 5th March would be the best day – mild, with clear sky and sunshine forecast for much of the day.   With this in mind I had an early night on Monday and rose about 4:45am on the Tuesday.

It was cold to begin onboard, but once the engine was going, warm air heating on things were just toasty – this is why I also like out of the way moorings or being on your own because naturally there is no one to disturb – not that today would be a problem as there were nobody about for miles anyway.

After a shower and a coffee I was ready to brave the cold morning and it was very icing outside – I used the bucket and some hot water to melt the ice on the decks and I was on the frozen ground just as dawn broke – it was magical – to my right the moon was still out, yet to left the glow of the sun on the horizon had already begun – but it was not just the light that was putting on a great show, the birds were too.  Despite the fact I was using a cheap tripod and a compact stills camera the resultant footage came out very well, and after I had captured what I had planned on getting I strolled along the bank stopping every few yards to watch and listen.

I have no idea what bird was making what sound all I knew was it sounded very special and as if I was crashing on a party that usually few are up to be part of and witness.  Almost as quickly as it had come, once the sun was rising the mist burning off so it lost the magical element and became ‘just another morning’.
Back on the boat I made a simple breakfast and then needed to get about filming the review of the boat – that part was simple but I had also planned on making a ‘how to guide’ on mooring, departing a mooring and general boat handling – with nothing else about it was an ideal time to do this.  I had a camera on the bank, one at the helm and another on the boat facing the bank all was set – I left the mooring, and then the cocking about begun – a simple ‘3 point turn’ became a 4 or 5 point turn – then usually easy as you like mooring took three attempts and then I was still not happy – was it the cameras making me mess up or just wanting to get it absolutely right – I am not sure but frustrated and annoyed I put them all way and got on with my day.  

And so it was down to Womack Water – to get water – only the first issue was that about 20 feet our from the quay it was all frozen – virtually nothing, a few millimetres thick, but none the less I took it very slowly putting the boat into gear for a moment then back into neutral. I executed a frankly perfect stern mooring – that of course only the local ducks saw – just my luck.  Then I found the water hose had not been put out for the season - I thought I may use Herbert Woods facilities as I was going to pop into Lathams at Potter Heigham anyway.

Now the previous night one of the saloon light bulbs had blown which was not the end of the world but it was the single one in the centre and had been using it singularly and since it had gone the other two being ‘offset’ meant a lot of shadow was cast or one had to use both – I pondered calling Richardson’s and then decided I would.  Well I called and it in what seemed  like under 20 minutes but certainly not more than half an hour a very friendly engineer had arrived with new bulb – good service!

New bulb fitted – and urm no light still.  Ahh I explained, not to worry this is the jinx of my bad luck – so it turned out the circuit board on the read of the fitting had gone – but n worry he had a spare fitment on the van, only the new lights while identical as far as bulb was concerned the  manufacturer in their infinite wisdom had decided to make the new light fittings very slightly smaller than the previously version.  This meant that the cut out in the roof lining was too large for the new light fitting to go in – but put an Englishman in a shed (or in this case a van) and he will come up with a solution that Heath Robinson would have been proud off.  Self tapping screws and a terminal block later the new fitment was in the holder of the old fitment and we had light – he also went to the trouble of exchanging all 4 batteries because the voltage was ‘a little on the low side of happy’.

Once again I felt like I should be apologising to the chap, yet he would have none of it and this sort of service and attention continues to make me feel that anyone who considers Richardson’s to be the poor man’s choice or that their service is not up to par needs to reconsider their views.  They may be cheaper, their classic boats may not be the most easy on the eye in terms of colour, but their service is excellent and their value second to none.

Departing Womack Water the ice had gone and the sun was out – indeed it was past being just mild it was approaching being warm – for the beginning of March!  Once on the River Thurne I was soon passing the eccentric and quant riverside bungalows and before long the Broads Authority 24hr moorings came into view – but a new sign had been erected next to the bridge that crosses the inlet to Herbert Woods yard ‘No turning beyond this point’ – well sorry but I can’t moor at the moorings and not turn beyond this point – but I get the logic – to try and stop people turning too close to the bridge and wind and tide conspiring to bring them broadside onto the bridge though I wonder why the sign needed to be place quite where it was.

The moorings have been ‘refurbished’ and now have electric hook up and several new posts – what troubled me was the fact the new bench that was put in memory of the late Graham Cook – ace bridge pilot – was no longer outside the pilots office and indeed I could see no trace of where it may have gone.  I hope it was just put away for winter and not otherwise gone for good!

So it was to Lathams to get one of the most basic things I had forgotten – washing up liquid and kitchen towel. But they had some offers on and well, you know – I could not help myself and so left with a large bag and over the road to look at Waterside Marine Sales offerings –  I am not sure why some of the boats which look the most tidy seem to be priced very keenly, yet some of the boats which appear to have been painted in Dulux emulsion and goodness knows what mechanical gremlins await were priced over what I think they were worth. One day I thought...One day.

Herbert Woods fleet looked gleaming in the sunshine, and after a burger from the burger van (once tried never again for me personally) it was back over the bridge to the boat.  Once on board it was now actually warm enough to slide back the sunshine roof and with some good tunes on and miles of empty rivers time to leave and head for the River Bure and Ranworth.

I arrived at Ranworth to find the staithe empty – a first for me – and went about topping up the water tanks – with Malthouse Broad behind you, the water hose to your left has to be about the slowest of any on the system and over half an hour later finally the water tanks were full.  Mind you, I used the time to film some lovely scenes from the staithe of the local ducks and gulls  - it appeared that they were feeling the first glimmers of Spring after such a horrid time of it of late, this mild weather and sunshine was most welcome (I had no idea then how much the weather would once again change).

Time to leave and so I had decided that tonight I would moor once again on the River Ant – at my now favourite ‘wild mooring’ – so down to the River Bure and along to the mouth of the River Ant where upon I noticed a lot of – well stuff – floating about and as I turned on to the Ant, it got thicker and thicker – a mix of what seemed to be as if someone had emptied a very large amount of grass cuttings in the river – but this was not just grass, it was Reeds and the odd chunk of wood too – and then I noticed the diggers which have been removing old pilings – and it seems anything else organic and pretty and profiling the banks to be perfect muddy table tops – I am sure this is all very worth it in the long run and Scientists have studied and know all of what they are doing, but on the ground right now it looks bloody awful – a shame too some mature trees have had the chop as well.  With that got through, and Ludham Bridge navigated it was onward up the River Ant.

Past Turf Fen Mill and How Hill looking lovely as ever, and then finally my overnight mooring – or was it, no I thought – wait a moment – yes that was it – about turn and there it indeed was, nestled between two trees a perfectly made up bank and as if made for the 37ft of San Selino to fit into.  

Once moored up – I had some time before dusk and so did my usual – boat clean up – and it was looking very nice and so sat on the roof watching the sun set with a beer comparing this scene to that which I would be used to in London.  No, you can’t compare them – I am lucky I can come to this magical wetland / playground – call it what you will.  This is what getting away from it all is about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)