Salerno - Day three




Having spent the night moored on Womack Dyke I awoke early and rested. This is a lovely still stretch of water, and being alone without the noise of other boats makes for a lovely mooring. Increasingly though these type of moorings are being coming rarer and those that are about are soon snapped up. I wanted to get underway before everyone else had got up and ready, and so just after 8am I was underway heading towards Acle. It was a lovely morning, mild with a slight breeze, high cloud meant the sun was casting an almost filtered light over the rivers and marshes.

Other than fisherman on the banks of the Thurne, I past no other boats until well on the way to Acle on the Bure. I was not taking things fast and just taking in the scenery and morning calmness. It is a shame others were not of the same idea – two boats charging up the Bure from Acle and whether they were doing more than the 6 MPH posted maximum on this stretch really is neither here not there for it was clear they did not consider what their wash may do to those moored up especially the smaller boats. When I arrived at Acle things were beginning to ‘wake up’ but spotting the water house I made a quick about turn and came in for a quick top up. Water tanks filled it was time to set off again – and the thought crossed my mind why not head down to Yarmouth?

It was a lovely morning, weather was meant to be sunny later in the afternoon but shortly after Stokesby I decided it would be a foolish trip only to have to return with a very long cruise back as I was taking the boat back the next day – I’ll do that next time I thought. Coming back from Stokesby the river had a good swell on, a whole stream of boats where using the ebb tide to help them down to Yarmouth and now against it I was having a hoot the boat rocking, the small waves seeming larger than they were when hit the almost flat bow of Salerno and a big ‘explosion’ of water shot up. It was great and for a moment reminded me of the swell on the Thames when aboard Broad Ambition. Still calm waters are all well and good, but a good breeze and a swell sure makes for a good time.

Past Acle and heading towards the junction with the Thurne, I took a left and headed on up the Bure towards St. Benet’s. I made a silly school boy error thinking I had suddenly arrived at the syke leading to Ranworth so took it only to find it was Fleet Dyke and so did an about turn back to the Bure. By now traffic was really thick, going up and down the Bure and had to wait to pull out on to the main river and once done thought about going to Ranworth – however after a bit of thinking thought better of it and headed back up the Ant. Upon arrival at Ludham Bridge I remembered seeing a sign in the shape of a duck with 2nd September on it. It made sense now what that was for – but boy it was packed! It also seemed that the sunny Sunday had got half of Broads Edge out for the day for there were private craft of all sorts heading down the Ant and mooring at Ludham, mixed with hire craft and on the whole everyone behaving themselves and taking it slowly through the narrow bends these moorings occupy.

Just then a boat went and I hoped I could pass the moorings, turn and come back and nab the mooring. This I did, and though was an ‘off side’ mooring it all went very smoothly. I had some food and drink then headed off to catch the end of the first duck race across the river with Ludham Bridge Boatyard doing a great job of traffic management with Big Tow the other side of the bridge allowing the race to proceed. After this back to the boat, wuick clean up and then underway again. I wanted to turn the Stalham side of the bridge and noticed a space on the other side of the river had become free. I could turn here and not risk any drifting into anyone else – not least the very shiny private boat opposite me. All went well, only after turning I somehow unwittingly performed a perfectly executed mooring on the other bank. Quite what people must have thought I am not sure, but now had to do departure number 2. This ended up going smoothly thankfully and I did not end up back where I began lol. Going up the Ant I witnessed a worrying moment wne a couple on Ruby Gem tried to moor at the now very busy moorings at How Hill.
As I turned the bend I was greeted with said Ruby Gem in the middle of the river facing me, a woman on the bank holding on to the stern rope with such gusto trying to bring the stern in. At the same time her partner at the helm, going away for the bank under power. She was pulled closer and closer to the edge refusing the let go of the rope, then hit a mooring post with her shin, tripped and dropped the rope. So thankful she did not trip towards the river or she would have been in and with no life jacket and a boat now heading for the bank. A private sailing boat behind offered some help – it was ignored – the helmsman then deciding to go flat out forward towards the bank I looked away but heard the crash of fibre glass on wood – she then leaped onboard at the bow only for the helmsman to leave and walk to the stern while the boat was still under power!

By now the owner of the sailing boat rightly in my opinion had enough and shouted ‘what the *#$? Are you doing’ and gave them a good push away from his shining gel coat. The helmsman was back at the controls, turned somehow and proceeded back in the direction of Stalham bouncing of the bank twice more and with no apology given. Fun and games over with the rest of the meander along the Ant was lovely. Upon reaching Barton Broad I headed to the left and up toward Lyme Kiln Dyke to Nettishead. It was so beautiful, quiet and lush green – though the staithe was full, it was a pleasure to go along this almost hidden backwater. Once I had turned and headed back to Barton Broad it seemed as though everyone was heading back to Broads Edge at the end of the afternoon as boat after boat came over the broad and headed for Stalham.

I thought and smiled at the same time how habitual people are, they may not hire boats but they still have a timetable to get back, load up the car and head off home ready for the reality of Monday morning. Back to Richardson’s boatyard, moored up and got under way with packing – better do it now and get it out the way. Through clean of the boat – I can’t help myself even doing the inside and outside of the windows. Salerno was gleaming, everything was packed and now time to walk into Stalham for food. There are so many places to choose from – I went to one (I have no idea now of the name) but a Chinese that did Thai Food and had neither Chinese or Thai but a Malaysian Satay Chicken dish with rice. Back on board this went down great with some beer I had in the fridge and then with the sunroof back sat and enjoyed the last warm rays of sun and recounted the days adventures thinking the weekend had past by so quickly and it would be time to head back tomorrow.

It may not have been the most interesting of trips to write about, but it was none the less a lovely escape for me from the rush of life and work. Since feeling nervous in the past about solo cruising, I have the hang of it now and love the fact I can come up I have money and have a break like this for just a weekend.

So, until next time thanks goes to Richardson’s for a lovely little boat, a keen price and to those of you who read this and watched my Captain’s Blogs thanks too. Until next time then...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)