Brinks Belmore TC - Day Six


Last night I spent a lovely time aboard Braveheart with good conversation, laughter and a mixture of different drinkies not to mention good food, but now I has woken to a gray, foggy scene at Ludham Bridge so was in no rush to depart, bedsides I was not on the northern rivers and it was time to take things easier and spend less time cruising (yeah, like that was ever going to happen).

As the time past so the sun struggled to show itself and burn off the mist - it was now viable to leave the mooring and head under Ludham Bridge my new nemesis.  I waited, then waited some more and finally I got to depart when there were no other boats coming as I wanted to stop under the bridge and get my head out the roof to see just how much clearance there was so I would have a fair idea how much leeway I may have with regard to the height gauge. 

I find it truly appalling that these vital indicators are left to degrade to the point that they are unreadable at low tides.  I understand the things take a lot of time to install and likely cost a fair bit to have made, but the Rangers in their launches even once a month surely can stop by with a broom and scrub the muck off.  Alas now it is too late to salvage as the numbers are fouled so badly.

Suffice to say there was plenty of room under the bridge and now I was headed up the river Ant.  I stopped off at the moorings for How Hill and made a little error that despite the fact the current here is so slow, as the tide goes out it still does indeed run and it was just enough to mean my stern wanted to wander away from the bank as I came to moor.  I was not happy with my mooring but none the less it was time for lunch.  Nice crusty roll and cheese with a coffee and a slice of cake to finish it off.  Lovely.

It would have been lovely, that was until I had just put the cheese in the roll and put my coffee in the mug where there was the most almighty bang then a crash as my port side hit the quay and I was pushed off balance to the bulkhead.  I was shocked - I had just been hit by a boat and in a moment I had rushed up to the aft well expecting the boat to stop - but not only did it continue as I shouted to the crew, they looked back and said nothing!  Unbelievable - a moment later and I would have had the kettle in my right hand pouring the water and with the impact and shock for certain would have splashed the boiling water over me.

I've been nudged and scraped along but never hit so forcibly before - I ranted to the camera and then I had my lunch and calmed down.  There was no real point to report anything, no damage was done to the boat or me it was just as case of rudeness and people not taking responsibility as if they had not realised they had struck the boat.

Time to continue up the Ant towards Barton Broad - I noticed with some sadness how so many mature trees had been cut down or cut back so much all that was left was a large stump effectively.  Moorings with lovely tree cover in the summer now would be exposed, but this is a managed landscape one has to remember and changes all the time.

I named the Blog that accompanies this write up 'The Big Talk' because I do seem to talk a lot, and it was as I approached Barton Broad the need arose for me to have my thoughts aired as to the branding of the Broads as a National Park - you can watch the video to see what they are.  Now the sun was shining and getting uncomfortable to be wearing a jumper - I crossed a still Barton Broad with beautiful deep blue skies above heading to Gays Staithe where I could have a shower, change into something short sleeved and chill out.  Well I had the shower and changed but the chilling out?  Nah not so good at doing that on a boat I am too eager to explore so it was off to have a peek at Nettishaed along what always feels such a personal and special parts of river that leads to the moorings that is Lime Kiln Dyke.

After turning at the full moorings, it was time to head back the way I had come (well I actually had a peek at Paddy's Lane before I headed back over Barton Broad).  Not much to say other than I had a camera on the roof as I passed under Ludham Bridge and as I always seem to do, never took into account how tall the camera and its mount is and so almost lost the camera to the bridge!

My mind had now turned to the evening - where to moor, a place alone or somewhere close to civilisation and easy 'no cooking' evening meal out?  I opted for Horning - but by the time had got on the river Bure, decided Ranworth and so it was that I reached Malthouse Broad to find a full staithe.  Being cheeky I nosed down the 'side part' of the moorings to see if there was space, nut no it too was full so a quick reverse out and turn (Belmore TC turns very sharply in reverse either left or right) perhaps due to the 'tunnel' that the prop is situation is and how the flow of water then is jetted towards the rudder.

Back on the Bure and headed towards Horning.  I was now thinking there would be no room there at all, not a hope and would have to moor in Wroxham in a  boatyard if I wanted to not cook onboard tonight.  Low and behold upon passing the Horning Ferry pub there was a mooring!  It was not too long but I could fit and so a quick turn and came in to execute a lovely mooring. 

So there it was, far from being an easy day of little cruising I had been all over the place, been hit and now would be able to relax have a nice evening meal and a couple of pints without worry of washing up.  It had been a lovely day, sunny and warm and I was thinking how pleased and lucky I had been to get the time off to have ten days on the Broads and not be thinking 'oh tomorrow is my last day' .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)