Brinks Omega - Day Two



After leaving Salhouse Broad and Broad where I had spent the previous night – along with Griff on Broad Ambition, I had a plan to head to Ranworth Staithe and from there have a walk to Ranworth Broad through the wonderful nature reserve broad walk.

As it was, the day began cool but bright and before long I was turning a the bend opposite The Swan in Horning   - coming out of season really has its boons for if this was high season, you would have to plan on coming to Ranworth after those who had overnighted had left but before the lunch time crowds had arrived.   Today I would not have to have such worries and passing through Horning places like the New Inn were deserted of moored boats and indeed it was not until I reached Ranworth Dam that another boat – Far Horizon as it happened, also happened to following me down.
Malthouse Broad is such a haven – tucked away off the Bure with the statihe and view to St. Helen’s Church.  Because the broad is small it feels ‘just right’ somehow.  It was now a little overcast and there was a breeze blowing which I knew would make stern mooring in Omega a challenge.  The slightest crosswind will take her bow and if you’re not careful your end up with an unceremonious side on mooring.  Using the flag flying on the green of the staithe I knew which way the breeze was blowing and could make allowance for it.  I was rather chuffed with the resultant mooring, far better than the double try it had taken the previous night at Salhouse and help with such from Griff.

Off the boat I met briefly with John who was out on Nyx – and found the large bin provided for rubbish was not there for the season had not got underway.  Fortunately my rubbish was just some dry recyclable bits not foody/smelly things so put it by the side of the overflowing single wheely bin.

I then wandered off past the Malsters pub towards the church, but took the first turning on the right towards the nature reserve and Ranworth Broad.  It really is a pleasant walk and on a day such as this, it could not have been better.  Despite the breeze the sunshine was starting to come through and it was nice when I arrived at the start of the walk to see how things had changed since I  was last there (October 2013) without the leaves on the trees, the scene was more open and full of light.  It just goes to show you may go to the same place often, but the changing seasons really do make a difference to it.

While dogs are not permitted, it makes for a lovely walk along the walkways with numerous signs showing what to look out for and the changing landscape that you are walking through.  At the end you reach the floating information centre – which is not open in early March – but it does not stop one taking in the great view over the Broad – which is closed to boating traffic.  There were several avid birdwatchers with some pretty spectacular camera lens trained on birdlife.

From here, I came back to the main road and the staithe and departed – destination River Ant and Stalham.  My girlfriend had wanted to and now could come up and I was due to meet her train tomorrow, so wherever I was going to end up this evening I would have to take into account getting back to Wroxham for the following day.

It was not long before Ludham Bridge came into view and I was pleased with the fact there was almost 9ft clearance under the bridge.  Omega confusingly says 8ft 6” on dash but 8ft 4” in the manual onboard.  In truth I think it is more likely somewhere between 8ft and 8ft 4”.  The moorings at Ludham Bridge were empty apart from a Nancy Oldfield Trust boat and as I continued up the river I passed only fishermen not another boat until I came to Barton Broad where I could see a boat from Bridge Craft at Acle.

By now the sun was really shining, but there were some lovely puffy white clouds – by now too I had figured a way to put the external camera mount on the boat and be able to reach it to start and stop the Blog Camera – time to explore and see something new to me, and rarely seen by many other boaters.  Woods End Staithe.
It had been talked about here this existed and was a parish staithe open to the public and mooring was permitted for 24hrs.  Fellow forumite ‘ReadyAbout’ wrote up a magical piece about this location which can be viewed here.

It was now time for the rascal to pay a fleeting visit.  I had looked on Google Maps and had a fair idea of the location to the entrance, and I found it with ease – a gap in the reeds pointed the boat straight for the small inlet and took it easy – oh what a magical place you feel as if you have just found a secret backwater unknown to anyone else, you feel as if an explorer charting new waters – you also feel fear that there is enough depth under you considering the amount of height afforded to me at Ludham Bridge.

Well all was ok, and I was able to turn with ease, but would not like to go there with more than 35ft and try the same manoeuvre unless one had help and could turn the boat on the ropes. Should you pay this special part of Broadland a visit, do respect it and remember the other moorings are private and indeed are the foot of someone’s private garden.  

Back on to the expanse of Barton Broad I headed to Paddy’s Lane for a brief stop and bit to eat for a late lunch.  Then it was off to Stalham Staithe where I planned to overnight, and in doing so could get to Tesco.  However the fishermen were out in force so about turn and back to the main river where a sharp left would take me into Richardson’s Boatyard.  It was full, I mean really full up with boats seemingly everywhere but at the head of Kingfisher Quay next to Broadlander was a space – I nabbed it and before long was off to Tesco.

Upon returning to the yard I had an idea to go to Irstead – there was a new electric point, it would mean less cruising tomorrow to Wroxham too and despite the falling light I headed off from Richardson’s boat yard – it was not until I had passed the first cut which leads to Sutton Broad and I had a Facetime call did I suddenly remember Sutton Staithe has electric points and of course the hotel to pop into for a drink.   About turn and now heading back towards Sutton I went.

You see I wanted to, for once spend a night ‘on shore power’ a good thing I did head to Sutton since the Irstead electric post is not actually (at time of writing) hooked up to the grid.  With the sun setting behind me my arrival at Sutton Staithe was lit with a warm yellow light, and apart for a small private cruiser and a Herbert Woods hire boat the staithe was empty.  Lovely!  

I would need to be up early tomorrow to head from here to Wroxham but as I sat in the aft well on Omega watching the sun set and having a beer life felt very much perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)