Brinks Omega - Day Three





And so it was an early start at Sutton Staithe for the reasonably long (for the northern Broads) cruise to Wroxham.  

I was meeting my girlfriend at Wroxham and she was due there by 1:00pm I had read it takes about 4 hours to reach Wroxham from Sutton and planned to stop enroute but because of the still waters and amazing light of the morning I was away before 7:30am to get some good video while the light was still 'fresh' and the waters calm.

It did not take too long and I entered a magnificent Barton Broad - flat calm, no wind and with the sun getting ever warmer on my port side it made for a breathtaking trip with just the water birds for company and not another boat in sight.  

I was taking things nice and slow and just enjoying the scenery around me, I had a keen eye for the tell tale flash of blue of a Kingfisher but alas I was out of luck but the upper Ant has proved a good place to see these pretty birds before.  Through Irstead, then down to How Hill and by now the warmth of the sun was really making its presence felt.  Under Ludham Bridge and despite being calm much of the way down the Ant, it is always so that here you could feel the breeze had got up and it was shortly after passing the 'dog leg' and moorings I saw a yacht who had just raised her sails and was pulling away from the starboard bank.  I took it slow just in and out of gear and would have been happy to stay that way for seeing and hearing the sails flutter in the wind one has to admire the oldest forms of propulsion still has the most calming effect.  I was waved past and then discovered that it was none other than Jeremy from this forum who, recognising me asked if I was the 'London Rascal' so that is a first where I have exchanged pleasantries with a 'rag and stick' before.

Not long now and I would be at the mouth of the Ant and making a right turn on to the Bure.  Again I found this to be almost deserted and with the sun now behind me it really made the water look blue, the reeds colours being brought out all the more - if it was not for the fact leaves were missing from the trees one could have been forgiven for thinking today was not a summers morning.   Despite the lovely landscape I had news that my girlfriend was now on an earlier train and I had suddenly lost an hour in order to get to Wroxham, moor and walk to the station to meet her.

I planned on stopping along the way with piping hot water to shower, shave and generally make myself look half decent for my girlfriend, it would be her first time on a boat and had taken some convincing to get her to give it a go - me turning up unkempt would hardly sell the idea of a boat being a 'home from home' to her.  So it was that just opposite Wroxham Broad - somewhat later than I had planned I stopped and moored.   I need not have rushed getting ready and grabbing a quick bite to eat for as it would turn out things would not work out so smoothly far as public transport for her.

I arrived in Wroxham to find Barnes Brinkcraft full - I wanted to stop off here to get an extra blanket and have them look at the starter battery, as despite being plugged in overnight on shore power it was very sluggish starting this morning and was showing under 10v on the volt gauge.  There was nothing for it I had to turn and come in for a double mooring manoeuvre on the main river - solo.  

For those of you who have not done such a thing, it is something one has to plan for because the boat you are approaching is likely to be moving gently - further more when you have come alongside, stepping on to it means your boat goes up and it goes down - only a bit, but I knew I had to be quick to secure my bow line to the stern cleat of the boat I had come alongside and then hot foot it along to my stern and repeat.  Well I did well - well enough for the chap on  the quay to compliment me - however he did have a worried look as if to say 'what is wrong with your boat'  Popped into reception and got the blanket and by the time was walking back to the boat an engineer was there with volt metre and amp metre - within 5 minutes he was off and back with a new battery and I might add  a Rolls branded AGM battery (let's just say these don't come cheap).  From me arriving to me heading off it must have been all of 20 minutes, very good service.

I turned around down river and came back - by plan to moor at the CafĂ© where the day boats can be hired from - and so did and it was time to get off the boat and head to the station, I was going to just make it by my calculations, only then I was called to say there was a problem at Norwich and she had not even left for Wroxham - the rail car would not start and there was all sorts of goings on trying to get passengers on a replacement.  It was now me who would be waiting after all.

Well it was 1:00pm when her train rolled in and a gentle walk back through Wroxham, showing her the delights of Roy's and it was decided that we should get some things in their - girls seem to need extra of everything but it also meant I got stock up with more beer so I was cool with having to look around at everything from cheap tops to make up removing wipes.  Finally we could head back to the boat and thankfully she was impressed with my choice of craft 'it looks cool' and so paid for the mooring time and it was time to head down river.

We began slowing taking in all the places me point out what was what, then we came to Wroxham Broad where she took over the helm and urm rather annoyingly got the hang of it right away.  No over correcting the steering, and apart form being a little nervous was loving it - not helped by the fact I was now pointing a camera at her introducing her to the internet.  

We left Wroxham Broad, then further along the Bure looked in and out of Salhouse then through Horning and then briefly down Ranworth Dam to Malthouse Broad, before we turned about and headed back up to the Bure.  I am not sure if it was here that I heard over the radio the unmissable voice of one Charlie Griffin -  he was giving instruction to Geoffrey who was helming Cheshire Cat and so I called Griff up on the radio and found them to be between St. Benets and Thurne Mouth (not bad range on the PMR's) so it was decided we would head for the same location as they - the Bridge Inn at Acle.

Shiela took the wheel a few more times and it was a lovely late afternoon cruise to Acle and although the temperature had reduced, the sky was blue and the landscape was bathed in sunlight.  We arrived at Acle to find we would be the only three boats moored there for the evening, and once introductions were made and Sheila had a brief tour of Broad Ambition and saw the book detailing her restoration it was decided we all would eat in the pub - Sheila also had made a new friend with Maccie dog, and Geoffrey's glossy black Labrador Austin.  

The welcome, food and service at the Bridge Inn were as usual excellent.  I have never had a bad meal or experience at this pub, and it was the first time this season I had the chance to sip some lovely Wherry Ale.  Oh to have this in London!  Tomorrow was forecast to be much the same as today, warmer than usual and wall to wall sunshine, but back on board the boat Shiela was learning the fact one had to pump flush a toilet and I could be a devil and turn off the water and claim 'sorry hun that's it, no more water left' as she was mid shower.  Well, you've got to be a cheeky Rascal sometimes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)