Mystic Horizon - Day Two




Now I should point out to those following along watching the Blog that accompanies this that things are going to get better – think of it as a slow build up to a special crescendo.

So I was awoken in Barnes Brinkcraft’s yard by an odd sound that seemed to be getting louder shortly followed by the boat jolting.  Up like a short I found Trinidad who had moored over the way from me in the basin was making an early start and using me and some of Barnes Brinkcrafts boats as a sort of floating guide to bounce off of and make for the river.  No visible damage done thankfully and since I was now up thought I would get ready and have a coffee.

I had intended to go to Roys to get the rest of the weeks provisions but being Sunday and since that meant not opening till 10:30am I thought I could make do and instead would make my way to Ludham Bridge – thus I could see for myself the sing erected on the River Ant ‘The Corsican Was Here’ and see if The Corsican had indeed passed by and seen said sign.

It was a nice cruise down the Bure, taking in Wroxham Broad on the way – what had surprised me though was despite the schools being back, there was a good number of boats out and about still and this increased the more the morning wore on.  I found myself talking away to the ‘Blog Camera’ and despite editing it down for the video of the day I apologise for the waffle – soon enough it was time to turn on to the Ant and there it was – the sign still there and looking good.

Next task was to pass under the bridge 8ft 6” was the height of the boat, just about 8ft 3” on the gauge. I came in ever so slowly, head out the sunshine roof and must have been about 2” from the top of the grab rail on roof to the bridge – having got through I did not want to stay too long the other side of the bridge in case the incoming tide kept me the ‘wrong side’ when I wanted to head south tomorrow.  My plan therefore changed to drop into Ludham Bridge Boatyard and have a chat with Jason, then head to Tesco at Stalham.  

This was the first time I had actually taken time to talk to Jason, and see around the place and I can say that he (and his staff) are some of the most sincere, friendly and hard working (when not chatting having cups of tea with visitors like me) chaps you can meet. It is clear too they certainly know their stuff!  So after spending a good time there it was back over the bridge back on the boat and heading up the Ant once more – not to Tesco now, just to take in the lovely river since I was here and no more than a couple of bends had passed than I saw Magellan and The Corsican coming towards me.

I turned the boat and now was heading back down the Ant – called Jason  to inform him they were on their way – he having now finally also been able to make telephonic contact with Simon on The Corsican and I found out they had been hiding out at Gays Staithe (and by the sounds of things getting rather good friends with various wines the night before) so that is why no phone signal!  



So it was that the trio passed under the bridge and now in radio communication making sure The Corsican was keeping their eyes peal on the port bank for something. Simon of course was blissfully unaware of what awaited him and kept talking about the Wherry Albion and how that had gone into the bank at some stage, but it was not long before I could hear the laughter first from Magellan then from The Corsican drifting back having seen the sign.  Once out on the Bure I confessed all and how I had played my part in the whole scheme.

It was then off to Malthouse Broad – the staithe at Ranworth was full, so it was decided to head to Ranworth Island and stretch our legs and let the dogs have a some shore time too.  Well you know how it goes, talking turned to sitting and the promise of soft drinks turned to wine and beer in the summer like sunshine.  It was lovely.

A Topliner on hire from Barnes Brinkcraft was valiantly trying to stern on moor – I suspect the first attempt they had made of such – and good for them were taking it slow, not giving up I think they were on attempt number 2 when a WAFI (and I do mean in the strongest possible terms drawing attention to the F and I of the abbreviation) decided despite the extent of Malthouse Broad to actually tack round the stern of the Topliner (as the boat was reversing) and in so doing almost take out the chaps fishing on the bow of an already moored boat – having just missed this, the next obstacle was the bow of The Corsican – quite how they missed hitting it I have no idea – what did they say ‘power gives way to sail’.  Unbelievable.

SO the couple on the Topliner moored successfully and before long a day boat arrived – complete with dinghy which was almost as long as the day boat and now the Island had several crews all enjoying the sun, talking and as ever on the Broads help was given with how to moor, tie a knot and even the dogs made new friends.  

It was about 3pm by now and time to head off, while Magellan and The Corsican had to return to their home berths – I was off to Acle with a travelling time of about 2 hours as my distance charge informed me – I made good time and when arrived at Acle decided to top up with water and since it was such a nice evening and not much after 5pm, decided to continue south and moor overnight at Stracey Arms.  This I did and for anyone who wishes to a £3.00 mooring fee is charged (pay at the Mill Shop).

Despite the fact the A47 is just over the way, the traffic noise was not so bad – the Mill Shop was lovely and you could even hire DVDs for £1 for the night – great idea that.  The Tapas Resultant however is missing a thing or two – prime location, large carpark on a busy A road and with moorings on a popular river – sure there are signs but you would not know when it was open, and there was no menu on show unless you walked to the door (as I did) I think to have this displaced riverside and perhaps offer a ‘takeaway to boats’ service would help the business no end.  A lovely sunset came, the moon rose and looked magnificent and only thing that was spilt the night was two ‘dinghies’ with large outboards left the moorings after 9pm – no navigation lights and shot off towards Stokesby causing a horrendous amount of wash that had me and all the other boats moored there to rock and crash into the quay heading.

Why these people had to have such little respect I have no idea – its one thing to break rules, travel at night without lights, break speed limits but to do all that past moored craft there is no excuse and they should be ashamed of this because you certainly don’t expect to have everything thrown about at that time of night when quietly moored.

Tomorrow will be an early rise at 6am and the real adventure begins as we head from Stracey Arms all the way to Norwich – I can’t wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)