Distant Horizon 2 - Day one


So it was time once again to leave London and head to Norfolk – Acle in fact to take over Distant Hoirzon 2 from Horizon Craft – part of  Richardson’s Boating Holidays. 

I had hired with them before, the most recent being in October 2012 and knew the welcome would be first class and the boat tip top.  I’d arranged for a new taxi service to come and collect me from the station, wait while I popped into Budgens and then drop me at the boatyard – great service, lovely Ford Galaxy people carrier and a reasonable price – his name is Rupert and his number is: 07754 327 388.

After completing the paper work, meeting the usual friendly staff (and Paul Richardson as it happened) it was time to set off with the destination of Womack Dyke. 

While the boat class I was used to (having previously hired San Julian) I had no idea what this Distant Horizon 2 would look like internally, since there are no photos of it online or in the brochure.  I was impressed.  Huge windows, tinted too – lovely interior with a new cooker, huge sink and lots of storage from drawers to cupboards.  The aft cabin felt light and airy and I liked the fact the heater switch was in there 
– as was the heater itself.  This meant the first outlet from the heater was this cabin, which meant it would be nice and toasty in the cooler evenings – something San Julian lacked for its aft cabin was decidedly cold since only a slit puff of fair would come from its heater vent there.

This boat was a great find, I’d got 20% off being my second out of season holiday this year, which had brought the already keen weekly hire charge of £414.00 down to £331.20. Outside raised steering and a lovely fitted boat at ‘bath tub’ prices can’t be bad!  Distant Horizon 2 is (in my opinion) streets ahead of her sister Distant Horizon 1 – A better internal fit out, a better arrangement of sleeping accommodation verses heads in the aft cabin and a nicer galley makes me think it is best to book midweek so you can have number 2 rather than have a Saturday start and get number 1 in the class.

The only downside I could find to the boat was the fact the aft toilet is electric flushing – using the domestic water supply to flush it – not as most, the water from the river.  So it is best to keep the water tanked topped up daily.  Also, it has a BMC 1.5 litre diesel engine, which while in a soundproofed enclosure (and very clean and well kept) is certainly no Nanni in terms of smoothness and power delivery.  I guess I’d been spoilt in recent trips having boats with new engines.  It is of note you must top the header tank with water up each morning and keep a keen eye on the oil level – I did a lot of miles and used over a litre and half of oil – but also consumed a reasonable frugal £84.00 of diesel.  Not bad I thought of the amount of miles I covered – but more on that in time, this after all is only the first days account.

I arrived at Womack Dyke and was annoyed with mother nature, for there was a constant high wind, with big gusts and wouldn’t you know it was not blowing in my favour.  I’d much rather be blown on to a bank than off it, but as I came into the moor it took a good 10 minutes of trying to get alongside and off the boat with the Rhonde anchors before the wind had chance to blow the boat away.  Even when on the bank I dare not let go of either ropes for a moment so waited until there was a lull and in a moment pounced and got the bow line tied to a hurriedly buried Rhonde anchor.
Once the boat was secure it was time to unpack and make the boat comfy. I must say this was the first time in my visiting Horizon Craft that the berth had not been made up, not that putting a sheet on a bed was a big deal, but I wonder if that was just that day or if this may be the way of things from this base from now on. 

It was not late by any standards, early afternoon in fact – so I went for a walk along the bank and just enjoyed being back where I love – the Broads, and despite the wind it was very mild indeed and was forecast to be ever more sunny and hotter as the days passed – great timing I thought.  But the hear and now was just to take it easy without a care and just relax, so back to the boat – open a can of beer and sit out on top and watch the scenery (and other boats come and go).  Tomorrow would be an early start for I would be needing to get all the cameras and wiring done since I was departing Womack Dyke and heading south – as far as we could before the sunset – so it was an early dinner and to bed ready for the next day’s adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)