San Selino - Day One




First of all you may remember early march was not ice and wind, but mild and sunshine - if you like tranquil waters, amazing winter light then the above link to the Captain's Blog may make your day.  It was beautiful.

I took a short break on San Selino, and in my opinion this is the best fitted out and most comfortable boat in this class – when compared to the likes of Magic, Gold, Bronze  and Clear Gem – all the same boat style and length and all sleep the same number of people.  

So the question had come to my mind what would it be like having one of the cheapest boats that one can hire on the Norfolk Broads?  Would you really have to make do without and would one find things internally very dated and a large gap between the budget end of the market and the prestige cruisers and high prices they attract?



After careful thought I choose San Selino – a 4 night short break from Richardson’s Boating Holidays and with hire charges starting at £226.00 it certainly was the budget end of the scale – it also would mean starting the break on 4th March,  the second earliest I have had a boat in terms of the time of year.

After a good journey up from London I arrived at Richardson’s Stalham boatyard and after a quick ‘check in’ was soon putting my gear on the boat.  A most helpful chap then came aboard and talked me through where the various things were – gas bottles, gas tap, heating and so on.  Since it was early in the year not all of their boats were in the water – and noticed many of the Acle fleet still up at Stalham. I asked if I might be able to look on board some of the other boats, and this was arranged – although one ‘Contessa’ was in the shed, we had a walk about the yard and a good natter about all things boating.  

I was impressed just how much work goes on in the winter months when you consider they have over 300 boats and they all will be taken out the water, serviced, deep cleaned and often be painted in part or whole – what an enormous task that is – As it was with San Selino her hull seemed to have had a fresh lick of pant and everything inside was gleaming.

Having then walked into Stalham to pop into Tesco and stock up it was back to the boat and off along the river.  I was not sure just how far I would be able to get before sunset, so had three destinations to mind – Ludham, St. Benet’s or Womack Dyke.  

After the most amazing cruise over Barton Broad and down the River Ant with the clear winter light, still waters and wildlife which seemed surprised that boaters were once again about – I was treated to some magnificent scenes.  Seriously, if you have the weather on your side this early season cruising  over miles and miles of empty rivers with just Swans and Geese, amazing blue sky and a large winter sun   make this very special indeed.

I saw one boat moored near How Hill, and another at Ludham Bridge – but that was it the only two hire boats I passed – and having got as far as Ludham Bridge with good light I carried on, once on the Bure and past St. Benet’s I decided I could make Womack Dyke before sunset – but was now being treated to the light going from a soft mellow yellow to a soft pink as I turned onto the River Thurne – still no boats, and calm waters reflecting the sky and this wonderful light.

I made the formal Broads Authority moorings by about 5:15pm just as the sun was setting – and after mooring and making a cup of coffee came out and just sat watching the sun set, and the birds making some amazing shows over the sky – even the Crows (or perhaps Rooks) going form a very loud chorus to calming down – it felt as if everything was turning down and getting ready to switch off – the water was still, the air was – the final rays of light over the horizon – it was great to be part of and witness.

As far as the boat, once I had unpacked I can see why these old bath tubs despite being pretty uninspiring to look at, work well internally.  Three full height wardrobes, large drawers, many shelves, wash basins in each cabin – it had a snug feel about things and with the Espacher warm air heating was indeed cosy and warm – I prefer these to other types because one can also use the Airtronic cabin control set the heat to be what you want – neither too much or too little.  

I’ll talk more about the boat tomorrow, but the first night moored up all cosy inside on a still stretch of water without anyone else to bother you and make noise was lovely.  I had also treated myself to what Tesco have brought out to rival Marks & Spencer’s ‘Dine in for £10’ range – and the chicken, roast potatoes, red wine and Belgian chocolate tart certainly was the best food I had had on a boat – and was a doddle to do in the oven.

It may have only been just over 4 months since I was last afloat, but it meant the world to be again – just the freedom, the peace and being away from it all is good tonic for the soul and despite the shorter days, I knew that Tuesday was due to be a mild day with a good amount of sunshine – I wanted to be up before sunrise to film the same so it was an early night and the sleep came well aided by the red wine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)