San Selino Day Four


 
It seems that the ducks at Cockshoot Dyke are especially loud and tame – much the same as at Womack Water – and so it was they who woke me and appeared very keen on any food going, and as is always the way you feed one and the whole neighbourhood turn up.

Today looked gloomy and felt cooler than of late and there was talk that in the coming days rain and snow would return – quite a difference to the mild sunny weather that had graced me earlier in the week. Because today was my last full day I planned on doing less and would over night at Sutton Staithe where I could pop into the Sutton Staithe Hotel for dinner and take my time packing things away and cleaning the boat. With that in mind how would I spend today?

Well first off it was out of the dyke and on the Bure towards Horning – this is such a pretty stretch of river and despite the quietness of place, the public staithe still had two boats – then a further two outside the Swan – the most boats I had seen so far together. There was room to moor but I just cruised slowly along and turned outside Horning Sailing Club. Everything looked as if ‘on pause’ waiting for the season to begin proper, and I could just imagine in the summer people out enjoying the Swan’s beer garden by the river and the New Inn full of boats at its moorings – but for now the locals had the place to themselves.

Returning past Cockshoot Dyke it was onwards down the Bure – past the turning for Ranworth I did not see another boat moving, and then onward still passing the mouth of the River Ant and I knew that the ruins of St. Benet’s Abbey would soon be in view – I was doing a silly bit to camera when I decided I actually must moor here and go and explore the ruins and so I made a quick turn and came into moor. It has been many many years since I have been here – perhaps when I was about 12 – and with the recent work completed and scaffolding gone, what better time to explore.

Something rather touching began to happen the moment I walked away from the river – the bird song (I am not sure what of) was all around, the wind was constant but not to high and while cool it was not too cold – it felt desolate yet comforting all the same. Upon entering the old Mill within the Abbey’s former gatehouse the air was still – the wind had gone and the echo’s caused by the ruin of the mill further added to the atmosphere. It was as if someone had turned down the lights, closed the door and all was still. It felt very serene, and I felt myself wanting to just stay there and think and absorb this place and the feelings.

I was pleased I was there alone, not just the fact I was on my own but that nobody else was about – no distractions, noises and so on – and after about half an hour I felt really very much different than I had when I arrived – from all go and pace to calm and relaxed. Now I am not overly religious or anything, but it was something special and if you have the time when no one is about I thoroughly recommend you too go there and just take some time to let things go and think a while in the stillness this site offers.

Coming back to the boat, I stopped and took a photo for a father and his son on a trip together on Magic Gem – I got the impression that the son had taken his father on holiday on the boat to get away from things and bond with each other again, they certainly were both good chaps. And so it was back to the boat where I thought to myself how lucky I was to be here, and how this really is a unique holiday/experience that one does not need the latest and greatest of boats to enjoy, and that to come out of season is really a very special time indeed without all the bustle of other boaters about.

I departed the moorings and for a bit of a cruise I headed towards Acle. Not the best of ideas as I realised there was not much point to head to Acle and half way there turned around and into an outgoing tide – my return trip felt like it took twice as long as going down. Just before I arrived at the mouth of the River Ant I suddenly spotted a large plank of wood in the water – at least 6 feet long – I had no time to avoid it, so put the boat in neutral. It hit the bow and bounced off – I waited to see it float past before I engaged gear as one certainly would not want that to get drawn under into the propeller.

Now on the River Ant it was nice to be on the gentle slow moving waters of this pretty river and past the diggers still doing their thing with the banks, Ludham Bridge soon came into view – and from there on to Sutton I did not see another boat. Barton Broad was still and the grey cloud blended with a slight mist to make it seem an even larger expanse of water than it is – onwards and upwards I continued.

Not too long later the trees seem to get more dense and Stalham is signposted along with Sutton – not too long then. Past the fork in the river, taking the right hand one and onwards to Sutton Broad. More akin to a wide river now, the wind had got up and the reeds fringing the banks were blowing about. And then in the distance the end of the public moorings came into view. Once moored up I noticed three other boats moored but the moorings seemed very different to when I was last there in April 2012 – when they were full.

And that was that, not much of a day in some respects, I could now take time packing up and cleaning the boat all ready for the hand back in the morning. It had been only a short break, but through glorious sunshine and now cooler more dull conditions had felt longer somehow – I had found that a boat that was far cheaper than many one could hire, was actually just as comfortable and warm as others and that whilst it may not be a good looking example of a boat, it was a lovely home for the 4 nights I was away.

The staff at Richardson’s were helpful and kind – from letting me look on others boats that were moored, to the welcome I had on return – I look forward to the next trip up to Norfolk it is such a lovely place, and to have the freedom of being able to go where you wish when you wish in a boat is like no other.

So, until next time thank you for coming along for the ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)