Sunlit Horizon 2 - 'Lads Week' 2012 - Day one




So I must confess that I did not take too many notes and write up the daily goings on this time around, instead relying more on capturing moments on film – and as you will no doubt see that did not always go according to plan but we begin on Friday 12th October and arrival at Horizon Craft at Acle.

I’d opted not to get the free collection service the boatyard offer for those travelling by train, as I realised there was a large Budgen’s in Acle village and so got a cab to take me there and wait while I got the essentials. Including waiting time and tip £10 was not bad I thought and got to the boatyard at around 2pm.

Sunlit Horizon II was waiting with the cleaners just finishing the hoovering and she looked splendid in the afternoon sunshine.  I was recognised from when I was there in July on Far Horizon and after a warm welcome and quick run through of the boats systems it was time to leave the yard – only as anyone will be aware that Friday was a blustery day and the wind really would have preferred us to stay where we were.  Once out of the cross wind and on the main river I headed to my planned overnight mooring on Womack Dyke.



I’d wanted to moor ‘wild’ at a mooring I have found to be most lovely since July 2011, in October I felt sure therefore It would be free, but no it was taken as were the other two ‘back up’ moorings so it was onward to the 24hr Broads Authority moorings which were oddly completely empty.  At least the posts would mean an easier time of solo mooring with the Rhonde Anchors.

Once I was moored up one then another boat came to moor – some distance in front of me, and once the chap who was cutting back the scrub with his ‘weed eater’ had gone, silence covered the land.  I unpacked and made the boat ‘a home’ as it would be my base for ten nights and indeed was one of the reasons I had chosen this style – an Aqua Fibre Pearl 38 – because not only does it look good, it has a good spacious layout and would provide space for when my mother came up later in the week.

Sunlit Horizon II unlike other boats of the same design has only 2 double berths, the space of a ‘small’ double of more usually bunk berths was taken with a spacious bathroom – literally a room complete with a sit bath.  It meant the usually cramped heads opposite simple had a toilet and hand basin in it and coupled with the after toilet/shower this meant one actually had space to wash in and did not feel like you needed to be a contortionist to have a shower.

The galley was lovely, it is well laid out and never felt cramped – plenty of pans and utensils of good quality, glasses from wine, to tumblers and mugs and cups for tea & coffee of smooth and decent china.  Even the kettle was larger than the usual squat aluminium affair, this was rounded and stainless steel.  The cooker – full electric ignition, and the best grill i have ever found on a boat.  Did toast evenly, and quickly so I found.

The beds were generous in size, and whilst firm proved to be more than comfortable for a good nights sleep.  Thick pillows, soft and decent duvets coupled with decent blankets made the sleeping arrangements very cosy and warm.  The rear cabin had a full length mirror, the forward a dressing table complete with mirror.  Excellent. There is even provided a 1400w hair dryer for the ladies or gentleman with longer locks.

Saturday 13th sees me rendezvous with two Jewel of Light class boats at Potter Heigham, together with Broad Ambition, because this is when ‘Lads Week’ will begin.  Goodness knows what this will be like.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)