Sunlit Horizon 2 - 'Lads Week' 2012 - Day five



And so I left the three boats that had kept me company during Lads Week on a blustery grey morning at Acle and head up the Bure with Wroxham as my destination.  As the grey lifted so the wind strengthened and I knew at this rate mooring in Wroxham would be a challenge.  

There was not a lot to report until I arrived in Wroxham, it was packed – the Barnes Brinkcraft was full – apart from one space in their ‘inner basin’ which would have been a pain to get into in the strong wind, so I decided to try my luck in Faircraft Loynes boatyard.  As I came along to turn left into their yard off the main river another boat was coming out so I had to hold off my turn, then thinking as I was being pushed ever closer to Wroxham bridge (which was showing about 6ft 5”)  I knew I had to do a turn and come in for a fresh approach, just as I was about to do this a Broads Tours passenger boat loomed towards the river.

I could have turned in front of this would have been a foolish manoeuvre
so the harder option had to be taken, turn and avoid the line of day boats, the bridge, the private Broom cruiser moored outside the Hotel Wroxham and having done so, wait and hold station while the passenger boat had turned and its stern had cleared my bow.

I was successful in this endeavour but there is no pleasing some people as a day boat had also been caused to wait to avoid hitting the passenger boat and then go across the river to where the dayboats are all lined up to take it back.  Because I had been holding station I blocked his course, and he had been blown on to the quay of the Hotel Wroxham – and unable to easily now get away from it.  In the scheme of things a day boat being held by the wind on a quay or me hitting a double decker passenger boat, I’ll take a day boat any day – the foul language given at me though summed up the day – blue and cold.

I then came past Barnes Brinkcraft following the passenger boat and turned just along the river and came back and this time moored stern on at MC Marine Leisure.  Once all was made fast it was off to Roys for a number of bits and bobs including a small Windscreen Wiper (that provided was appalling and rain was forecast) I found a cheap small one in their DIY outlet  together with some ‘anti misting window cleaner’ which, actually was amazing stuff no more misty windows – meant for cars, but great on boats too. Further with some food bought in the food hall it was back to the boat and off back down the Bure this time heading for the River Ant, Ludham for water and then somewhere nice to moor for the night.

The wind had now changed in direction but was just as strong and it was catching many boats out – personally I rather enjoyed it giving you something to work against and keep your attention up, but would prefer a mooring where the wind is not pushing me off the bank when I come in to moor and so was trying to figure out what direction the wind was blowing and what direction it may be coming on to or away from at various moorings I had in my mind.

After an uneventful trip along the Bure, past the dredging and works going on at Salhouse Broad  it was time to turn off onto the Ant, where as if a magnet for the wind Ludham Bridge was doing a fine job at making it feel double as strong.  8ft dead was shown under the bridge so took the canopy down so the roof was now level with the to of the windscreen, and then I panicked.  Several large gusts tried to pull the whole screen forward (which is what you do when lowering it for lower bridges) only here I was trying to stop it happening and steer the boat – then a cushion took off and landed fortunately inside the boat, then one of my pictures decided to part company with its frame and then the moment I was through the bridge the gusts eased – thank goodness because made mooring for the water point easier.

Having topped up with water it was time to depart – canopy now raised and so it was important to make a good clean departure from the bank – stern first – and not be blown towards the bridge, this was completed and now facing the right way again (I may add I turned to moor so the bank was on my side making mooring easier when single handed) it was time to head up the Ant.

When I arrived at Turf Fen wind pump there stretched out was all the formal moorings and no boats.  Well, hard ground and posts was easier than soft grass and Rhode anchors in the wind so I decided tonight’s mooring would be here. Once secure it proved to be a lovely evening, and then a lady (whose name and forum ID I forget) stopped by with her two dogs.  I was just fitting my newly bought wiper at the time and she spoke of the want for women with a passion for the boating and the Norfolk Broads to ‘club together’.

Seeing as her post seemed not to be displayed – I will use this opportunity to shed light on this – so despite not being a woman I think you lady boaters should not feel shy or worried about going out in your boats – hell evening hiring if us lads can do a ‘Lads Week’ then perhaps a ‘Ladies Week’ is not such a bad idea?  I know too that it must at times seem a bit like cars and trains and planes – a male dominated arena, where even when on holidays the alpha male will be the one at the wheel, the wife at the ropes – and like a Barbecue which us men love to do – it is all well until something goes wrong, and then the lady naturally is the scapegoat.

Well ladies don’t be so shy or worried and do take the wheel and do try and do come out of the comfort zone – what can possibly go wrong?  You cock up and have to try again?  Your rubbing strake gets scuffed on the bank?  Oh plureeeasssee...So I am all for equal boating – after all if my mother can do it, anyone can Wink

So I do apologise I did not remember your name but don’t be shy to post on this forum more often.

And that ended the day, the wind died down, now one else cam and moored close to me, and as the sunset the marshes looked amazing.  Oh how I love this area, the light, the water – even the boat I was on was behaving itself and of an evening was a very cosy and nice place to be.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)