Brinks Belmore TC - Day Nine



I woke up super early just before sunrise as I wanted to capture the boat in the fresh soft light as the sun rose - then capture the wonderful warming tones of the sun as it came above the horizon - only it was dull and cloudy and not at all nice for capturing such - and so it was, back to bed. 

For me when you are moored on a 'wild mooring' there seems something a little different, no other boats behind or in front of me and on the side the boat was against the bank of course nobody to walk past the boat and peer in - couple that with the gentle sound of the Reeds rustling in the wind and the boat moving slowly on the ropes and it equals somewhat of a challenge to stop keep looking out at the distant marshes and water and actually get ready and plan where you are going for the day.

I had breakfast and decided Wroxham would be a good place - grabbed the camera did a bit to it then changed my mind - Ranworth would be a better bet for there I could dispose of my rubbish and top the water tanks up it would also just be 'down the river' and all being well I would arrive not long after people who had overnighted there might be leaving and off on their own adventures of the day.

Leaving the mooring was a bit tricky compared to my arrival the previous day - the wind was blowing the boat off the bank, and with Rhonde Anchors it would prove hard to be able to take the ropes out of them, put on the boat, sort my ropes and then get myself on the boat all before the boat had not drifted off down Fleet Dyke.  In such circumstances what I do is almost remove the Rhonde Anchors from the ground and then in a swift action, take the bow then the stern ones and get myself on the boat safely even if the ropes remain tied with the Rhonde Anchors - for then I can sort such things out in my own time and not be rushed by what the wind is causing the boat to do.

Also when mooring at a location with a lot of Reeds and debris that float along and congregate around the hull I like to clear any that may be under the boat when in deeper water with a quick ahead and astern action and a pulse of the bow thrusters to ensure all is clear. 

I turned onto the river Bure and headed towards Ranworth which did not take too long - because I had been moored at a mooring away from others I had been able to run the engine prior to departure so all was warm and the heater had been on low to take the chill off - but things were looking good - blue skies and high cloud the only menace was the gusty wind. 

Turning down to Ranworth Dam all was just fine and I was thinking about the fact tomorrow was my last full day and I would have to pack things away and prepare the Boat Review - how might I go about filming it and so on.  I could see to my left Ranworth Island and just as Carousel passed me I suddenly smelt a very strong whiff of burning.  I paused looked, sniffed and yes it was certainly about but I was not sure if it was Belmore TC or not - thinking something might be about to occur I hit record on the Blog camera.

Within moments of doing so and leading into the introduction of where I was and smelling burning I looked down to the galley and found it was indeed onboard the boat - there was smoke, pretty light and just gentle drifting out from around the fridge area.  I rushed down was it the cooker, no but turn the gas off - was it the fridge compressor - no - back up to the helm, now I was starting to worry.  The engine was running like a dream, but there was smoke rising from any small gap in the floor or fitments what the hell was causing it and where was its source.

I was now panicking somewhat because there was no doubt about it the smoke was more than it had been just moments ago, back down to the galley throwing open doors - was it coming from one of the cabins, I even looked in the heads to see if it was something burning up there like the shower pump - but no I could not find where it was coming from as it seemed to be coming from everywhere.  It however smelt very much an electrical problem, that horrible acrid smell that anything that goes wrong with electrics causes.

I carefully lifted the engine cover a few inches - yep there was a lot of smoke in there but the fan belt was fine and Alternator too no burning and no flames - back to the helm and with my heart pumping I needed to get to dry land quickly.  Ranworth Island was just moments away to my left, and so I headed for it.  Oddly despite the smoke my adrenaline and worries I did not go flat out for fear someone may see and think badly not knowing what was unfolding on the boat. 

Talk about a high pressure mooring, but it was all instinctive - how much throttle and when, the wheel and where to place it looking out the back, the side, then forward then back - I was not thinking I was just working on automatic by now.  Off the boat and I realised just how strong the wind was and within a moment I was unable to hold the boat and it drifted to the right when a chap hiring Swallow from Maffet Cruisers in Loddon came over.  He took my starboard rope and the both of us bought the boat back to the quay heading .  Despite saying I had a problem with the boat and mentioning smoke - he was just focused on the wind and getting the boat secure - always handy to have someone willing to help and they not knowing how welcome such help was.

Back on the boat with engine off I lifted the hatch which is outside and where the fuel tank and batteries are located - out poured white and greyish smoke and my god did it stink like burning insulation and resin.  Back to the helm I began (and I am not sure now what help might have been) cutting power to all of the trip switches but despite being told on handover where the battery isolators where this had escaped by mind and I wondered where they were.  I grabbed by phone and started to make my call - the engineering number saved in my contacts.

As it was ringing I was wondering what to do if things got worse - call the fire brigade I knew where things were to grab and where fire extinguishers were too "Hello Barnes Brinkcraft how can I help" said the guy on his mobile( for calls had been diverted to him as the office was shut being a Sunday ) "Yes this is Robin on Belmore TC.  I have an emergency but I believe it is under control however there is a lot of smoke around the battery area of the boat"  - well as you can imagine usually these chaps get calls like 'I can't start the engine' or 'the shower pump has packed up' but he was suddenly met with a possible fire on one of their boats "smoke!" he asked in a  very forthright manner - and I began to explain.

He was on a call out at Acle, but that had to give way to what I was now reporting  - he would find a way to reach me and be there as soon as he could.  I was now feeling a lot calmer as the smoke was now a lot less when I lifted the hatch and I got a torch and got down into the rear of the boat.  I then saw the battery isolators - bit late now but disengaged them - then I got back up into the saloon and lifted the engine hatch and got down beside the engine to turn off the still active (and live) Victron Energy Inverter/Charger which bypassed the isolators.  The boat was now electrically dead.

Back to the aft hatch and I could feel clearly heat radiating from the thick battery cables connecting the batteries and the ruined Argofet battery isolator.  This little blue metal box  is similar to diode battery isolators but FET isolators allow simultaneous charging of two or more batteries from one alternator (or a single output battery charger), without connecting the batteries together. It had failed rather spectacularly - the earth wire connector was just carbon, the metal cases bowed out int he middle and cable insulation had simply turned to liquid dripping down into the bottom of the boat and solidifying like hard wax.

I called the engineer back - David was his name and explained more about what had happened and with this information he knew he would have to stop back at base get another unit and appropriate tools and some new wire.   I could not do much at all - just wait and then I spied a Faircraft Loynes boat with a family on board being directed to come alongside the moorings to my left.  I had been 'rescued'.

We had a chat as he fixed things, about boats, customers, his history working on Oyster Yachts  and my very own Captain's Blog.  It did not seem like much time had passed before we began testing - me revving the engine, him with a multi meter and amp meter - then he checked the Alternator, the belt tensions, the wire looms and runs - the battery electrolyte levels even some everyday unconnected checks like coolant and oil and weed filters - and then we had a cruise about the Broad and he was happy and I was happy it was sorted - I dropped him off alongside another boat at the Staithe and then it was back to being calm.

After all that I did not wish to do too much cruising, and the wind - oh this damn wind it would not stop and it was getting stronger - 50 MPH gusts were forecast according to my weather App - so I left Ranwoth behind and headed for Wroxham.  Here I could moor back in the boatyard, have a nice meal out (or a takeaway) and put all the excitement of the day behind me.  The journey as regulars to the Broads know is not a long one, but with the wind causing the boat to drift this way and that it felt longer and ones concentration was always needed.  I popped into Salhouse, moored up and got some water before leaving, then a little way along into and out of Wroxham Broad which due to being more exposed was a little choppy - but the waves were not going against me so it was not as 'splashy' and fun as could have been.

I had just a short way to go to Barnes Brinkcraft's yard and upon arrival the wind was blowing across their basin - this meant mooring stern on once again would be a challenge.  The moment I came into moor the boat wanted to be taken to the right and would be happy to side on moor had I let her, but a tug of war ensued - me verses the boat and wind.  Every time there was a moment of clam I would heave the boat both along the heading and straighten it up - it took a good 10 minutes and with sore hands was pleased to have the boat finally secure.

Time now to put the vinyl window cover on the front screen and then  crack open a can of beer - what a day it had been reflecting back on things then I thought, if it is going to happen then it will happen to me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 7 (Part 1)

Brinks Belmore | The Big Tour - Day 6 (Part 1)